Friday, March 28, 2008

Activity #1 - Atmospheric Precipitation

At the beginning of activity #1, I thought that it was pointless to do and I didn't think I was going to learn anything from it. We had to observe the heating and cooling affects of snow, water and soil at ten minute intervals. As the activity progressed, I was interested to observe how water stayed at 18 degrees Celsius during the entire heating and cooling process. Soil started at 19.6 degrees Celsius and continued to rise to 20.2 degrees Celsius by the end of the heating cycle. It shocked me when I observed it to continue to rise to 20.6 degrees Celsius by the end of the cooling cycle...I thought it would have decreased in temperature! Following suit with the soil, the snow rose from 0.2 degrees Celsius to 0.4 degrees Celsius by the end of the heating cycle and continued to rise to 0.5 degrees Celsius by the end of the cooling cycle.
Since my climate project will be on how the melting ice caps will effect the surrounding climate, I found that the heating and cooling effects of snow will greatly help me in my understanding of its properties.

1 comment:

Jennifer Grivins said...

Good reflection, nice link.